Saturday 15 December 2012

Venus Pool - Buzzard raids the freezer!

It's funny how little twists of fate step in! I was leaving a dismal VP when I decided to quickly check the memorial hide (back aching, I didn't even have my camera with me!) A couple of photographers were snapping away....

Hmm, the juv Buzzard was having an early Christmas dinner! The Goose (Canada) had indeed come early, having been stowed away in the VP freezer all week!

You might not like to admire these before your Christmas dinner, I haven't cropped too much :-)

Standing guard - this is miiiiine!


Getting stuck in (literally) ...


The grisly identification of the kill...



Feathers with some tasty morsels attached!


And don't ask what this is!


Eventually, the Buzzard had clearly eaten enough and simply stood 'on guard' again. I knew what was coming next, the shot I was waiting for.... problem was - which way would he fly?? And when!


For about 15 minutes I waited. Eye glued to the viewfinder, constantly trying to detect the moment of departure. Then finally......




Airborne....


The light was awesome, the Buzzard flying so close....  I opted for a dramatic crop here .....



Before veering away....


A couple of wing flaps




And gone!